In addition, there are several competitive schemes, that do not prescribe the research topics, under the Excellent Science objective.
Within these broad objectives are a number of more specific area of focus, as listed below.
- European Research Council (ERC) (frontier research of the highest quality)
- Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions (training and career development)
- Future and Emerging Technologies (FET) (collaborative research in new areas)
- Research Infrastructures
- Health, demographic change and well-being
- Food security, sustainable agriculture and forestry, marine and maritime and inland water research, and the bioeconomy
- Secure, clean and efficient energy
- Smart, green and integrated transport
- Climate action, environment, resource efficiency and raw materials
- Europe in a changing world — inclusive, innovative and reflective societies
- Secure societies — protecting freedom and security of Europe and its citizens
- Enabling and industrial technologies
- Advanced materials
- Advanced manufacturing and processing